Thursday, June 9, 2011

Chemistry

How do you define personal chemistry in radio?

It's something that simply works because you enjoy each other's company, whether or not you have anything in common.

That's it. That's the whole answer. Don't expect to ever understand or make sense of it. It never will.

In 42 years of radio I have worked with people I have liked immensely but couldn't engage on the air without each of us constantly bumbling and annoying each other. Some indescribable something made us oil and water, scotch and cola; Cheerios and chocolate milk.

I have also managed to co-create an effortless, magical on-air connection with a couple of people with whom I had nothing at all in common. In fact, in one case we bickered nearly constantly off the air but made magic when the mics were open.

Beats me.

I'm pretty sure you have some similar experiences and were hoping for an explanation. I'm very sorry, believe me. I've been trying to figure this out for a very long time.

My wife of 23 years and I are like that. Carolann and I have nearly nothing in common except for this: we adore ourselves together. We just love each other's company and are far greater together than the sum of our individual parts.

Here's my working conclusion: go with your gut. Don't interview prospective on-air partners, employers, or spouses.

Just talk a bit and do what feels good.

No comments: